Thursday, May 7, 2009

An Insult! This is worse than before!

For those who think I am unaware of current events in entertainment, I bring you Bob Dylan's latest offense against all things that are beautiful: Together Through Life. Bobby D. was never known for his fantastic pipes, as I am sure we are all aware. He was know for his politically astute, thoughtful, introspective, poetic ramblings. He has written some of the greatest songs alive (almost all of which have been performed, and much better, by other artists). And now popular culture has declared that he continues to write some of the best music alive (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8037386.stm). He has topped the Billboard album sales charts in the US and the UK with his latest ouvre.

I'm not offended, he should keep on keepin' on and all that, but for crying out loud, doesn't anyone else think he sounds horrible? Are we all such sheep? I have been told by several people that this new album is good, so I gave it a listen yesterday. I listened to the whole thing all the way through again today. And guess what? It's lousy. It's poor. It's uninteresting. It's a tired Bob singing tired blues in a tired bar and the audience should be tired of this stuff by now.

To Bob's new album I say, "NO!" To all of the people who rushed out and bought it just because he's the Bob, I say "NO!" To everyone else who's still thinking about buying it (more so, now that it's top of the charts!), I say, "NO!" People, we have brains, we have ears, we have the ability to understand and appraise what comes in through the latter with the former. So let us exercise our right to be offended by bad music, and say "NO!" Bob has enough money, he'll eat (drink?) fine without the cash you were going to shell out on this album. Give it to some charity, you'll feel better, someone will benefit, and you can write it off on your tax returns next year.

To Bob, thanks for all the good music from way back when! I'll keep listening to that quality stuff, just don't ask me to buy this new album. I'm not rich, and I'm not an undiscriminating listener, so I promise I won't do it. Sorry. I hope you had fun making the album, though. Seems like it would have been a pretty relaxed couple of sessions...

No comments:

Post a Comment